Airport Guide: Brisbane Airport
Brisbane Airport is the third busiest airport in Australia after the airports in Sydney and Melbourne. In this airport guide we’ll sum up all the important information about the airport, which you may need when connecting or departing from Brisbane.
Brisbane is an important Pacific Gateway and thus a major international airport in the region. There are several daily international flights to destinations in North America, Asia and the Middle East. While the Australian carriers obviously dominate the market, there are a couple of international airlines with one or more than one daily flight to Brisbane Airport. The most important airlines at Brisbane Airport are:
- Qantas: several domestic and international routes
- Jetstar Airways: several domestic routes and flights to Bali
- Virgin Australia: several domestic and international routes
Shopping and dining at Brisbane Airport
Brisbane Airport offers several outlets for shopping and dining. Both, the international and the domestic terminal come with several different options. While the international terminal is more focused on a luxury market, both terminals offer all the basic shops from press to clothing to souvenirs to jewelry.
Additionally, there are several bars and restaurants in both terminals. You can find the typical fast food chains as well as more exlusive restaurants (especially in the international terminal).
- Overview of shops and restaurants in the International Terminal
- Overview of shops and restaurants in the Domestic Terminal
Sleeping at Brisbane Airport
Brisbane Airport is open 24 hours a day and according to sleepinginairports.com offers a very good environment for sleeping. Especially the couches in the International Terminal are supposed to be a great spot for sleeping. If you prefer more comfort, there are several hotels around the airport.
However, none is directly connected to the airport building. The closes options include a Novotel, an ibis budget as well as Best Western. The most luxurious option around the airport is a Pullman Hotel.
Lounges at Brisbane Airport
Brisbane Airport is a hub for both, Qantas and Virgin Australia. Thus, there are several lounges at the airport. Among others, this includes two Qantas Clubs and two Virgin Australia Lounges, one each in the domestic and international terminal.
Star Alliance (Singapore Airlines & Air New Zealand) operates two lounges as well, both in the international terminal. Additionally, there is a Plaza Premium Lounge as well as an Emirates Lounge at Brisbane Airport.
- Air New Zealand Lounges: Star Alliance Business and First Class passengers and Star Alliance Gold members as well as eligible Virgin Australia customers
- Plaza Premium Lounge: Priority Pass Members, Paying Guests, Selected Premium Passengers
- Qantas Club: Qantas Club members and oneworld Business and First Class passengers and oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members
- Qantas Domestic Business Lounge: oneworld Business and First Class passengers and oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members
- Qantas International Business Lounge : oneworld Business and First Class passengers and oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members
- Singapore Airlines Lounge: Star Alliance Business and First Class passengers and Star Alliance Gold members
- Virgin Australia Lounges: Virgin Australia The Business guests, Lifetime Lounge members as well as Velocity Platinum and Gold members; eligible Etihad Airways partners status guests
Transportation at Brisbane Airport
Brisbane Airport is one of only very few airports in whole Oceania with a train connection to the city. The only other one is Sydney Airport. The Airtrain is the quickest and most effective way to get from the airport to the city center and vice versa. Additionally, most trains continue to Gold Coast and thus offer a great connection there as well (despite Gold Coast having its own airport).
Other options include taxis and Uber. While the train at Brisbane Airport isn’t cheap, I’d still say that the Airtrain is the by far best and easiest way to get to the city center at any time of the day.